Oh look. A Rain post. For a change.
I can’t sleep last night because I slept the whole day yesterday, so I decided to finally watch Rain’s “The Squall World Tour in Hong Kong” which is available on Rain’s official YouTube channel. I haven’t been in touch with anything Rain lately; I only saw glimpses of his The Squall concerts on my social media streams and I never watched the fancams (basically because the fancams are mostly of him doing that Nan number again for the gazillionth time), so I saw this clip with practically no idea on how it goes.
Some random thoughts, because it’s past 4:00am and I have to go to work in a few hours:
1. Rain seems to be environment-friendly since Legend of Rainism. His theme has been ‘reduce, re-use and recycle’ since then. Unless he’s going for the nostalgia feel, which is… still not fine. Shinhwa has been chucking out concerts with their same old songs, but it still comes out fresh because they try to come up with new arrangements and re-invent themselves. And Shinhwa is older than Rain.
2. The only part that’s fresh in this show are the Rain Effect songs. Which were still performed in the same manner as how he performed it when he was promoting the album.
3. To be fair, there were two instances which I really liked because I didn’t see it coming. First: Rain singing his cutesy songs Instead of Saying Goodbye, With U and Fresh Woman clad in a tuxedo. Brilliant, I must say.
Second was the Latin mix of La Song during the encore. Finally, a song with a different mix.
4. Whoever was in-charge of Rain’s make-up must be advised that foundation – or BB cream, whatever – should be applied not just on the face but on the neck, as well.
5. Hip Song still has the same effect on me as it did 6 years ago. It still makes me want to get up and dance. This song seems to be one of those numbers that Rain loves to perform until now.
6. On the other hand… I Do has a different feel now. I don’t know if it’s just me, but he performed it mechanically. The song lost its old charm because he was just going through the motions as if he didn’t want to sing that song anymore but he has no choice as it is one of his biggest hits.
7. Why does the mere mention of Full House on his concert made me tear up?
8. Rain looked gaunt at this concert. He’s too thin, and he didn’t have that sparkle in his eyes anymore even when he’s being cute. But I must admit, he still has that ‘IT’ factor as a concert performer. I think his dancing even improved over the years. He just needs fresh new material to work on.
9. What the heck happened to his choice of female dancers? When they were doing that couple dance for One and my reaction was, “Alden and Maine can do a sexy dance much better than Rain and this dancer”, it’s either there is something really wrong with the way they were dancing, or there is something really wrong with my eyes. I’d like to believe it was the former.
10. And speaking of Rain and Alden:
I was watching this, and I suddenly blurted out:
“Wait. Those are Alden’s steps.”
Yep, I really need to lay off on Alden Richards once in a while. I see him on everything, including instances of Rain wearing skinny jeans.